Low-carb microwave bread (fake bagel)
Guilt free bake
I really, really, REALLY love bagels. But since i'm trying to lose weight and I'm sensitive to many types of grain, i have to improvise. So through the years I stumbled upon the idea of the microwave bread that cooks in 5 min and pretty much is made of oatmeal. To a grain free freak like me it's a lifesaver.
If you bake it in a square dish you get 2 perfect slices of toast, but i like to bake mine round, so i can punch a hole in a middle and make it a bagel :D
Microwave bread can be toasted like any other bread, so pop it in the toaster of make a panini with it in a press! It's made of oats, so it has that savory flavor that definitely tastes better toasted. With cheese, avocado or mustard ... yum ...
2 tbsp Greek yogurt (preferably non-fat)
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp oat bran
1. Mix all ingredients in a blender, so the mixture is even and somewhat fluffy
2. Pour mixture in a microwave safe dish and bake on high for 4-5 min depending on how shallow dish is. try to have your dish at least two times higher than the high of your the liquid in your dish. This bread rises quit a lot, so don't let it overflow. I used 2,5 inch tall dish and had almost 1 inch of raw liquid in it.
3. When the "bake" is done, get the bread out of the dish and turn in up side down so the bottom doesn't "sweat" because of the heat of the dish. If it does, bread becomes soggy and the bread texture collapses on that side and becomes glue like.
4. When bread cools down and now moist on the surface anymore, cut it in 2 thinner pieces. Punch a hole on a middle to make it a bagel.
5. Definitely toast bread pieces before putting topping on Or make a panini with it and toast bread in the press along with filling. Either way, make sure the bread is toasted, otherwise it has an oatmeal flavor (which is not bad, but may be distracting).